11 Mar 2011 UKTI IBIZ- Technology Award
Calon is delighted to announce it has been won the Best Breakthrough Technology Award at the UKTI IBIZ Invest Conference. Chosen by an audience of venture capital and corporate investors as well as business angels, Calon Cardio beat off strong competition from 37 companies to win the Award, presented by Lord Darzi.
Calon Cardio, based at Swansea University’s Institute of Life Science, is developing the next generation of implantable blood pumps for the treatment of heart failure. Managing Director Kevin Fernquest said "this UKTI recognition is an endorsemnt of our technology and the potential it has to make a significant difference in creating the next generation of LVAD pumps and help tackle the problems associated with Cchronic Heart Failure."
Formed in 2007, Calon Cardio Technology is a based on the collaboration between Oxford artificial heart pioneer Professor Stephen Westaby and Wales-based Professor Marc Clement. Professor Westaby previously helped to develop successful left-ventricular assist devices with leading companies and has also achieved the world’s longest survivor with any type of artificial heart.
Prof Westaby commented "Heart failure is the commonest and most unpleasant mode of death affecting thousands of people in the UK. Last year there were just 90 heart transplants and so we are working towards producing a more realistic ‘off the shelf’ alternative, which is a smaller and more affordable device implanted using less invasive surgery. Our aim is to relieve symptoms, prolong the life for patients with chronic heart failure and provide a rescue device for patients who are dying from heart attack."
Professor Clement, Vice Chancellor of the University of Wales and an Honorary Professor at Swansea University’s College of Medicine, congratulated the team on the award. "I know how difficult it is to turn a great idea into a viable product. Calon Cardio’s technical team, led by its Director Graham Foster, is to be congratulated – not just for this award - but for the years of hard work preceding it. The future looks very exciting for them and indeed, the heart disease patient. This is a truly transformational product that could make a huge difference to our quality of life."
The UK Trade & Investment Life Sciences International Business Innovation Zone (IBIZ 2011) was held on 9 - 10 March 2011 within the Healthcare Innovation EXPO at ExCeL London.
For more information, contact Managing Director Kevin Fernquest on 01792 602861
Disclaimer: Calon Cardio’s VAD devices are not available for sale, including in the United States of America
- 9th Dec: What's it like to live with a mechanical heart pump?
- 24th Jun: UK's first heart pump targets 2018 clinical trial
- 11th Oct: Stuart McConchie appointed CEO, Board changes
- 11th Jun: CEO Honoured
- 22nd Nov: Calon wins 2015 Frost & Sullivan Innovation Award
- 28th Jul: Calon completes Series B round with new investors
- 29th Nov: US patent granted
- 29th Nov: Calon to present technical update at 8th EUMS
- 14th Mar: Calon wins TSB Biomedical Catalyst Award
- 15th Nov: Calon to present MiniVAD performance data at 7th EUMS meeting
- 3rd Sep: Calon to present MinVAD update at 20th Congress of the ISRBP, Istanbul
- 18th Mar: Calon Cardio-Technology appoints Simon Cartmell
- 23rd Feb: Calon Cardio-Technology, Series B funding
- 17th Jan: Calon Cardio-Technology relocates to ILS2